A few notes from the March 29, 2012 Boston Azure cloud user group meeting…
Jason Haley was the featured speaker and provided a fantastic overview of the Windows Azure SDK and related platform features.
My talk was the opening act. I extended on my Hadoop on Azure talk from February and climbed up the stack to talk about HIVE and Pig which generate MapReduce under the hood. I only used a few slides in the talk, but they have some useful references, and are available here: Hadoop-BostonAzure-29-Mar-2012.
These items were also mentioned at the meeting:
- Boston Azure is on Twitter as @bostonazure
- New England Give Camp 2012 (A handful of Boston Azure members are signed up – including (off the top of my head) me, Jason, Maura, Joan, and Gladys): http://newenglandgivecamp.org/
- UX and Cloud studies were discussed and the vast majority of the attendees indicated they would prefer offers/opportunities be sent to/shared with the Boston Azure community – I will post on the Meetup.com distribution
Upcoming Boston Azure events include:
Tuesday April 24 – Michael Cummings from Magenic on building mobile games with a Windows Azure back-end (signup here)
Wednesday May 30 – SDK again – but this time will be hands-on – BYO laptop! (Tables and power strips will be provided.) (signup here)
Thu June 28 – (Awesome topic TBD) – Michael Collier from Neudesic (signup here)
Thu July 26 – maybe CQRS? (signup here)
There was interest in incorporating some topics into future Boston Azure meetings:
- Tools – what tools are useful in building/managing/monitoring cloud applications, especially Azure ones (PowerShell, cspack, Cerebrata, Storage Explorer from CodePlex, CloudBerry Explorer for Azure Blob Storage, monitoring tools, IntelliTrace from Visual Studio Ultimate, other Visual Studio tips/tricks, …)
- Comparisons of Azure with other clouds, e.g., OpenStack, AWS, Eucalyptus (note: AWS and Eucalptus are now partners), Rackspace, others…
- More big data via Hadoop on Azure (maybe a whole dedicated meeting is in order)
Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you
been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web
site is wonderful, as well as the content!
I’ve learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you place to create this kind of fantastic informative website.