A shorter bio appropriate for listing me as speaker at an event is available under Speaker Bio.
Bill Wilder is a hands-on developer, architect, consultant, trainer, speaker, writer, and community leader focused on helping companies and individuals succeed with the cloud using the Windows Azure Platform.
As co-founder and Principal Consultant for Development Partners Software, Bill provides guidance and implementation services to companies looking to leverage cloud computing through Windows Azure, helping come up with pragmatic solutions that make business sense. He believes that in order to be a relevant and effective software architect one needs to remain a deeply knowledgeable, up-to-date, and productive software developer. To this end, Bill enjoys remaining hands-on.
Bill is an expert in the Windows Azure Platform. Bill began working with Windows Azure when it was unveiled at the Microsoft PDC in 2008, leading to the following:
- Founder and leader of Boston Azure, the first/oldest Windows Azure user group in the world – since October 2009
- Recognized by Microsoft as a Windows Azure MVP – since January 2011 – and a Windows Azure Insider – since mid-2012
- Author of Cloud Architecture Patterns book – published by O’Reilly in September 2012
Bill also frequently speaks about, blogs about, and trains people on Windows Azure.
Track Record with Cloud and the Windows Azure Cloud Platform
Bill has consulted with companies from startups to large companies on a variety of topics related to how to best use the cloud, whether to use the cloud at all, and how to use build solutions using the Windows Azure Cloud Platform. In addition to advice, Bill has provided training and rolled up his sleeves to build solutions using Windows Azure.
Example Windows Azure-related engagements:
- Boston Azure Bootcamps – training (also was organizer)
- Small financial services company – training
- Startup creating SaaS Solution for building architects – architecture and development
- Small ISV looking to enable their clients to use Windows Azure – architecture and development
- Large financial services company enabling high-volumes of computation with Windows Azure – guidance
- Legal services firm looking to leverage Windows Azure for cost-effective SaaS – guidance
- ISV tools vendor looking for strategic ideas to help them move into Windows Azure space – guidance
- Startup creating SaaS building automation/optimization service using Windows Azure – guidance
Experienced Architect and Software Developer
Bill Wilder is a proud graduate of the University of Massachusetts at Boston (B.S. Computer Science, Magna Cum Laude) and has been a software professional for 25 years in a career spanning large companies to small startups, building solutions for enterprises and consumers, working with a broad range of technologies.
Example past employers and consulting clients:
- Index Technology (Excelerator CASE Tool) – senior software engineer
- Lotus Development Corporation / OneSource (1-2-3 integration, data access/reporting, UX) – hands-on development manager
- LifeFX Networks (Photo-to-model factory, browser and ActiveX client, DRM) – hands-on architect
- Fidelity Investments (Enterprise .NET Commons Program, Open Source Review Board, SOA, XP) – hands-on architect
- Thomson Financial (Paragon, FirstCall groups) – hands-on architect/developer (consultant)
- Digital Equipment Corp (FaceWorks facial animation) – hands-on architect/developer (consultant)
- Compaq (AltaVista Search Engine) – hands-on architect/developer (consultant)