We had a great event at MIT on Saturday 27-April-2019 — the Boston Azure edition of the Global Azure Bootcamp hosted at MIT. There were lots of great session contributions – making this a true community effort.
Big thank you to local organizers Olimpia (@olimpiaestela), Veronika (@breakpointv16), Gladis, and Maura (@squdgy). We all worked closely with Jason (@haleyjason) who ran the Burlington MA event. And don’t forget those folks at the Global Azure Bootcamp level providing a platform making this possible for a coordinated day of #Global Azure cloudiness (https://global.azurebootcamp.net/).
The thanks continue with sponsors: MIT Women in Technology, Insight (formerly Blue Metal – https://www.insight.com/en_US/solve/digital-innovation.html), Finomial, and the Global Sponsors (https://global.azurebootcamp.net/sponsors/).
And a big thank you to the speakers – all who gave up a chunk of weekend to join us on a Saturday to share their knowledge (in order of appearance):
- Enterprise Integration using Azure Serverless by
Juan Pablo Garcia Gonzalez (@liarjo) – slides/sample code: https://github.com/liarjo/LogicApps-MIT-demo/tree/master/Logic-App-Demo
- A SIEM-ple Guide to Azure Sentinel by Jason Nickola (@chm0dx)
- Securing Azure workloads to DoD standards by Michael O’Leary (not finding a personal twitter handle, so providing his employer’s: @F5Networks)
- Cognitive Services by Veronika Kolesnikova (@breakpointv16) – slides/sample code: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/swBgIpZvpPUM7g and https://github.com/Veroni4ka/ArtworkLab
- Build your first Java app by Elizabeth Rosso (@_elizabethrosso)
- Learn to make your own Recommendation System with AzureML by Beth Zeranski (@BethZ)
- I wrapped up the day (Bill Wilder, @codingoutloud) trying to tie together varied points based on audience feedback, with my (wide ranging) slides, samples, and relevant links included below.
Attached are my slides:
The above graphic is from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/event-grid/overview#event-sources
Here are some more links of interest:
- Some collected links (some repeated below): https://github.com/codingoutloud/bostonazurebootcamp2019/blob/master/README.md
- C# Script is real – not a hoax! 🙂 – https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt614271.aspx
- Azure Functions support C# Script (.csx files) – but also regular compiled C# (.cs on .NET Core)
- Example Azure Function written in regular compiled C#: https://github.com/codingoutloud/opstoolbox (especially https://github.com/codingoutloud/opstoolbox/blob/master/SslCertificateExpirationChecker.cs)
- Here are some example uses of the above:
- Event Grid:
- “Slide” I showed is below – it is from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/event-grid/media/overview/functional-model.png
- Combine Azure Logic Apps with Azure Functions – https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-azure-functions#add-function-logic-app
- Similar to “follow-along lab” that tied together Subscription changes to an Azure Function using EventGrid
- Azure Blockchain Workbench: